Saturday, June 2, 2012

Q & A - Tony's Top Diet Tips

QUESTION:


I know you must get a ton of emails everyday, but I really wanted to congratulate you on your weight loss. You're a true inspiration to me! I'm a bit overweight (I'm 5'11 and weigh about 178), but i'm really motivated to loose some weight and put some muscles on. I'm just having a lot of trouble finding good tips about nutrition and exercising. I was wondering if you could give me quick tips.

Thanks and keep up the amazing work! :)  

ANSWER:



Hey man, thanks a lot for the congrats!
Heres a few tips to help you stay full throughout the day and increase weight loss with exercise.

1) Eat whole wheat and whole grains-  Anything whole wheat/grain has more fiber and will digest slower than any white carbohydrate.  These slower digesting carbs will give you longer lasting energy and keep you more full throughout the day so you won't be thinking about food.




2) Snack on cottage cheese and lean protein at night-  Cottage cheese is a very slow digesting protein which will keep your stomach full throughout the night and lean protein is very filling but low in calories.  Try chicken, turkey, or lean beef.


3)  Decrease rest periods in the gym-  This is one of my favorites and it's the only way I train.  Take 1 minute rest periods between sets during weight lifting and use interval training for your cardio.  For your carido  go all out for 30 seconds- 1 minute and then go at a moderate pace for 1-2 minutes.  This type of training will ramp up your heart rate and burn calories for hours and hours after you leave the gym.





4)  Eat leafy green vegetables and salads -  Vegetables such as lettuce, celery, broccoli, bok choy, cauliflower, spinach, and pickles are all very low in calories or are not even considered to be caloric because your body burns the calories from them during digestion.  For your salads use salsa for your dressing because it's full of vegetables and very low in calories.





5) Don't negate fat- Your body needs fat to burn fat so don’t be afraid to eat a few servings of nuts or peanut butter throughout the day.  As long as you are losing weight the fat isn’t hurting you and one of the first things that should be eliminated from your diet to lose weight is carbohydrates and not fat.








Tony isn't a  licensed nutritionist yet, so he can't give anyone advice on what  to do.   Please consult your doctor for his professional opinion on a  diet/nutrition program that will work for you.

Tony's blog is a  journal of his experiences and what has worked for him.   He lists general guidelines and suggestions  only.  He is NOT a professional.




1 comment:

  1. I like the idea of moderation, it's all about how you will moderate your lifestyle. I learned to discipline myself the way I eat. The more I ate, the more I need to have exercise.

    Diet Tips

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a message or a question. I will try to address your questions in a future post instead of on an individual basis. Also feel free to e-mail me, however, your questions will be posted in a future post with an answer. Thanks!