Monday, January 27, 2014

What ANDI Means and How it can Help You





Do you what what ANDI means?  It stands for Aggregate Nutrient Density Index.  Basically, what that means is that foods are rated on a scale of 1 to 1000 based on their nutrient content.  So how does that help you?  Simply put, you want to eat the foods with the higher numbers because they will be loaded with nutrients that your body needs.  Think of it as getting more bang for your buck!

I suggest you take a look at this website:


Eat as many fruits and vegetables daily as possible and eat the foods with the highest ANDI index possible.

Other foods to consider including in your diet are:

  • Healthy protein sources such as chicken breast, turkey, lean beef, eggs, or protein powder.
  • Whole carbohydrates such as oatmeal, brown pasta, rice, whole grain bread
  • Healthy fats such as nuts, eggs, peanut butter.
Happy eating!


.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Tony, I'm Andrew. It's kind of funny how, I'm 16, I weigh 230, and I am trying to start losing weight, my goal as of right now is 170. I figure, since you did this in about a year, then I won't mind, it's for the better cause. I understand carbs, calories, how 3,500 calories = 1lb, etc. I need to know, what I should do daily? I won't be able to really access a gym until summer, but I want to start now, so when I reach my junior year, you can REALLY see a difference. So, do you have tips on certain exercises, how long, and is there anything specific to look for?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrew. I'm sorry I missed your post somehow. I'm not a licensed nutritionist yet, so I can't give anyone advice on what to do. Please consult your doctor for his professional opinion on a diet/nutrition program that will work for you.

      My blog is a journal of my experiences and what has worked for me. I list general guidelines and suggestions only. I am NOT a professional. Feel free to look through my blog for ideas that may help you. Remember, you have to find your own motivation and a plan that will work for you. Good luck.
      For me, I started by walking a lot and then once I lost some weight, I started running. I still do the treadmill everyday. I also cut all the junk food out of my diet. Let me know how you're doing.

      Delete
  2. Great job! Just saw your YouTube video. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for stopping by and saying so!

      Delete

Feel free to leave a message or a question. I will try to address your questions in a future post instead of on an individual basis. Also feel free to e-mail me, however, your questions will be posted in a future post with an answer. Thanks!