Monday, April 21, 2014

Is Your Workout Still Working?



How do you know if your workout is working?  If you're no longer motivated, you hurt, or you've lost your momentum, those may be signs that you need a change.

Muscle soreness or if you're hurting a lot could be a sign of over training.  Be sure to schedule some days of rest in between your work out days.  You need to be sure to give your muscles time to repair themselves.  Are you only doing one type of workout?  Then try alternating between cardio and weight training.  If you're too tired to work out you may just need to get a little more sleep.  Nobody can get in a good workout when they haven't gotten enough sleep.  Sleep is important.  

If your workout seems easy, then you're making progress.  But that also means you need to change things up.  Challenge yourself a little more.  If you dread working out, then it may be time to change things by trying a new routine, switching gyms or even listening to different music while working out.  And don't just do your favorite exercises - you have to challenge yourself and work different muscles.

Have you hit a plateau?   Over time your muscles adapt, so you need to switch gears by adding more weight, intensity or frequency.

Take time to evaluate your work outs every 6 weeks or so.  Don't let yourself become bored with your exercise routines.  Challenge yourself, try new things, get proper rest and keep up the good work!

10 comments:

  1. I agree 1000%! I get bored too easy to wait for a plateau to arrive. So I mix my routine up every two weeks. At my age I just quit focusing on building strength, just keeping the muscle I have and not getting injured! I do a lot of body weight workouts now and challenge myself using reps and time. That way I can "compete" with myself, but reduce my chance of injury. Great post Tony!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great idea. I do better competing with myself also. Thanks for that suggestion!

      Delete
  2. to Set fitness goals also give you a better idea of what types of workout and dietary changes you need to make, so you’re more focused and in control of your fitness regimen Extreme Fitness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey i am a Guy of 15 i weigh 85kilos and i am 1.95m high. I have some fat How can i lost the fat?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to talk to your doctor about an age appropriate diet/exercise program. Now is a perfect time to start researching nutrition to gain a better understanding of how what we eat affects our bodies.

      Delete
  4. We offer an honest and reliable service to make it as easy as possible for you to earn your portion of the rake. Free Poker Games is the primary U.S. facing network on the Revolution Network. Players signing up through Rakeback Champions can take advantage of 36% rakeback as well as a 200% up to $1,000 sign-up bonus. Juicy Stakes Poker Rakeback

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't really care if I'm muscle bound, but I just want to be fit. I've been running a lot in the last year and I lost 40 pounds. Is there another exercise good for my heart that I should get into? I want a little more variety.

    Anita Mas | http://www.burlingtonfitness.ca/fitness.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any kind of cardiovascular exercise will exercise your heart and give you great benefits. you can try HIIT, swimming, hill sprints, and cycling if you want to mix it up.

      Delete
  6. I want to say thank to you people for this great and helpful info. Thanks!!!
    get rid of man boobs

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a message or a question. I will try to address your questions in a future post instead of on an individual basis. Also feel free to e-mail me, however, your questions will be posted in a future post with an answer. Thanks!