Monday, July 7, 2014

Fluids and Electrolytes


Fluids

Proper fluid balance allows blood to be supplied to the skin which helps regulate body temperature from exercise.  Without proper fluid intake the body can easily overheat.

Adequate fluid intake is especially important when the climate is hot or hot and humid since both these conditions increase the need for fluids to maintain proper body temperature.

The DRI (daily recommended intake) for fluids in general is 130 oz. / 16 cups per day for males and 95 oz. /12 cups for females. However this figure dramatically increases for those who exercise in general and those who exercise is hot climates.  Approximately 20% of fluids need to come from fruit/vegetable sources and the remaining 80% should come from water, juice, milk, coffee, tea, soup, and sports drinks.

About 14-22 oz. of water or 17 oz. of sport drink should be consumed 2-3 hours before exercise.
During exercise, 6-12 oz. of fluid should be consumed ever 15-20 minutes.
After exercise drink 16-24 oz. of fluid for every pound of body weight lost during exercise.

Electrolytes

In order for the body to be completely re-hydrated from exercise electrolytes must be reintroduced to the body.  Essential electrolytes include sodium and potassium (potassium is usually maintained in proper levels through diet so it won’t be discussed here).

Check out my video on my Transformation from fat to muscular!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Tony
    If you remember me from a year ago or so...about the time I made a comment of how I beat my High School Running Record...and how I kept on beating it every week. Than you would know how I first started losing weight..and than stopped commenting on your posts...
    Well this is a update...
    I have failed...(also I don't have PE anymore) I just don't know what to do...I have gained weight...I am not around 186 anymore...I am around 205 now...I just don't know what to do. I don't feel like running around the park or in my middle school Field...I need someone to run with...It gives me more confidence that I can do it while I'm running with a pal. All my pals don't live near me..and some don't even care about their weight, and the closest friend I have is my cousin which he can't run with me as he works in his dad store. The only exercise I can do are the ones I find from the website called HasFit, they give a guild of exercises to do and the amount of protein and carbs to eat.
    I just don't know what to do...some sites saying to eat more carbs and proteins...while others say to eat more protein and fat. I have been reading and gathering a ton of diets that I can do. And the easiest I found was the Paleo/Primal diet, consisting of eating more Fat and Protein and making you Fat Adapted instead of Carb/Sugar Adapted.
    But If I do that, I won't be having one of my favorite snacks and food to eat every week or so. And I can't give this up.
    I want to start NOW!
    I have five weeks till I go back to school. I don't want to waste any more days in my house just seeing TV, reading books, or memorizing things.
    I want to make a change with those five weeks...
    Also what I have notice and maybe the reason why I stop losing weight was that I change my mind of thinking...I don't care of what I eat...If it's good, I eat it...If I eat it and I'm happy...that's how Ill be sticking with it.

    I JUST WANT TO CHANGE NOW!
    I am tire of my Love handles and Man Boobs.
    I want to start a goal and complete it(also all my goals that I had made in my entire life...never completed, except that I beat my running score)
    I am just a lost and confuse soul...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear you are struggling with this. Can you make an appointment with your family doctor to discuss a good eating plan? You sound like you have the desire to make some changes and just need some tips to point you in the right direction. I'm not a certified nutritionist yet so I can't advise you on what to do. Please talk to your doctor.

    I can remind you that in order to lose weight you need to use up more calories every day than what you take in. I eat lean proteins like turkey and chicken. Fresh fruits like apples and watermelon are good. I eat a lot of oatmeal. I also eat grain breads.

    I started and stopped diets several times before I succeeded. Please talk to your parents about your concerns and go see your doctor about a diet plan. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a message or a question. I will try to address your questions in a future post instead of on an individual basis. Also feel free to e-mail me, however, your questions will be posted in a future post with an answer. Thanks!