Monday, July 7, 2014

Fluids and Electrolytes


Fluids

Proper fluid balance allows blood to be supplied to the skin which helps regulate body temperature from exercise.  Without proper fluid intake the body can easily overheat.

Adequate fluid intake is especially important when the climate is hot or hot and humid since both these conditions increase the need for fluids to maintain proper body temperature.

The DRI (daily recommended intake) for fluids in general is 130 oz. / 16 cups per day for males and 95 oz. /12 cups for females. However this figure dramatically increases for those who exercise in general and those who exercise is hot climates.  Approximately 20% of fluids need to come from fruit/vegetable sources and the remaining 80% should come from water, juice, milk, coffee, tea, soup, and sports drinks.

About 14-22 oz. of water or 17 oz. of sport drink should be consumed 2-3 hours before exercise.
During exercise, 6-12 oz. of fluid should be consumed ever 15-20 minutes.
After exercise drink 16-24 oz. of fluid for every pound of body weight lost during exercise.

Electrolytes

In order for the body to be completely re-hydrated from exercise electrolytes must be reintroduced to the body.  Essential electrolytes include sodium and potassium (potassium is usually maintained in proper levels through diet so it won’t be discussed here).

Check out my video on my Transformation from fat to muscular!