Monday, July 28, 2014

Get Some Sleep




Get Some Sleep!

Sleep deprivation screws up hormones and can cause weight gain.

As many of you know already hormones control everything in our body. Sleep is the body’s natural way of resetting, including everything and maintaining homeostasis (balance in the body).  When the body is deprived of sleep it does not regulate hormones correctly.  Many of these hormones control appetite and fat oxidation (the burning of stored fat for fuel).  When these hormones are not regulated correctly it can lead to excessive food intake or even alter what types of foods you eat (possibly high calorie low satiety foods) which can inevitably lead to weight gain. 

As part of my own anecdote I find it interesting that over consumption of food has increased over the past several decades (which has led to an increase in overweight and obese individuals) and the tendency to work more and sleep less has also increased.  What I’m saying is that over the past several decades the amount of sleep that people get has gone down, and weight gain has increased.  It’s possible that there is no connection between the two, but it’s not impossible either.  I have no evidence to support my theory (although I haven’t searched for any to be fair); this is why this paragraph is purely anecdotal.

Escott-Stump, Sylvia, and Janice L. Raymond. "Nutrition for Health and Fitness."Krause's Foods and the                 Nutrition Care Process. By Kathleen L. Mahan. St. Louis, Missouri: Elsevier Saunders, 2013. 469.                     Print.

Check out my video on my Transformation from fat to muscular!

3 comments:

  1. I've read there is a connection. I believe there is. Look at people who work a lot of night shifts...hospital workers for example...the very people that help to make us healthy are some of the most overweight. When I have stressful times I tend to sleep less and without eating more...I gain weight. I think you're on to something there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree also! Healing...from working out, exercising, or illness occurs mostly during our times of sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog! What should I say in its praise… relevant, lastly something which surely helped me? Thanks forest moon

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a message or a question. I will try to address your questions in a future post instead of on an individual basis. Also feel free to e-mail me, however, your questions will be posted in a future post with an answer. Thanks!